Car Hire Excess Insurance

Share Me:

AirBnB Blog Header

This week we’re looking at Car Hire Excess Insurance. What is it and why do we need it?

Another Insurance? But I have travel insurance surely I don’t need another policy for car hire excess insurance? You’d be surprised….

The spotlight this week is on Questor Insurance, an award winning independent provider of car hire excess in more than 20 countries. Rated 5 stars on Trust Pilot for product and service.

“New research shows that car hire customers are continuing to face unexpected charges related to their rentals.  According to Which? Travel, one in five customers has faced a charge they did not see coming, while more than half of them didn’t find out until after they had returned home. Customers have been charged for unwanted insurance products, late drop-offs, extra mileage, damage to the vehicle plus refueling and administration costs. And the most frustrating thing is they didn’t find out until they had returned home”

What is Car Hire Excess Insurance?

Car hire excess insurance is an optional insurance coverage. This will cover you for the excess you may be liable for in the event your hire car is stolen or damaged. Essentially, excess insurance is an additional insurance policy which will cover you against the excess charges.

This can also be referred to as Super CDW cover or an Excess Waiver.

How does this insurance work?

So, for example, you hire a car and the vehicle comes with its standard insurance, known as CDW (collision damage waiver). In most cases, when the hire car is stolen or damaged you’ll be liable to pay an excess amount before the rental company covers the rest of the cost. This means if you don’t have an excess insurance in place, you could be liable to pay hundreds, maybe even thousands, if your hire car is stolen or incurs any damage.

Questor Insurance will cover you up to £10,000 for any physical loss or damage so if you were to have an accident, the rental company may charge you for that damage. For example, you have to pay £500, you would then claim that back for reimbursement through us, using our simple online claim form.

Taking out a Car Hire Excess Insurance policy with Questor Insurance will give you peace of mind knowing you’ll be protected for the excess charges you might be liable for with the rental company. Our policy also has extra benefits such as cover for lost keys, Miss-Fuelling, loss or damage to Auto Glass, Roof, Tyres, Wheel Rims, the Under Body, Towing and Loss of Use.

Questor Insurance Car Hire Excess Insurance policy starts from just £2.99 per day and £41.99 for an annual policy. Our policy can save you up to 91% compared to taking an insurance policy directly with the car rental company.

Top Tips

  • Do your research before hiring a car. Look at reviews and online forums. Sometimes the cheapest isn’t always the best.
  • It’s also important to document the state of the vehicle when you pick it up. Take photos or video any damage you might see, no matter how little. Ensure you walk around with the company and if you do spot damage ensure they document it.
  • Make a note of the fuel amount. If full ensure you return it full or you’ll be charged. If its not full ensure you make a note and let the company know.
  • When it is returned ensure that all paperwork is complete and signed off, keep all receipts/

For peace of mind during your trip, car hire excess insurance can cover the excess you would need to pay should the hire car be stolen or damaged.

You will still need to pay the excess in the event of a claim, but you can then use your car hire excess policy to claim back the finances.

Hiring a car in Europe? Do you have the paperwork completed?

If you’re planning a trip to Europe in the coming months and intend to drive or hire a car, you’ll need to be prepared.

That’s because you’ll require a green card to showcase that you have adequate insurance cover in place – a failure to have one could see you prevented from crossing the border.

From the day that Britain leaves the EU, having the card – an internationally recognised certificate of having third party insurance cover – will be a necessity.